Call it Murphy’s Law, or maybe just a little unluckiness, but we sometimes see heat pump issues in Portland during the winter time, when they’re required to keep you comfortable. While you know the team at Three Rivers Heating & Cooling will forever be there ASAP when you need us for a heat pump repair, there are some things you can do to ensure a repair is needed and save yourself some expenses if it’s not. We’ve compiled this checklist of things to attempt before you give us a call.
- It may sound ridiculous, but make sure everything is turned “on”. We’ve been to several calls only to discover the thermostat or the heat pump itself is turned off.
If the heat pump still hasn’t kicked on, return to your thermostat.
- Is the thermostat switched to heat? If yes, increase the temperature by five degrees to check if it kicks on.
- If everything looks accurate, inspect your heat pump switch (if it has one) and inspect the fuses and circuit breaker that shield the extra heating element (if it has one).
Is an obstruction causing your heat pump to not work?
- Try replacing the battery, if it has one.
- Examine your air filters inside your air handler to ensure they’re not blocking things up.
- Are your room heating registers open and unobstructed?
If you’ve worked through this checklist and you still need a heat pump fix, call Three Rivers Heating & Cooling at 503-213-4433 and we’ll restore your home back to the toasty and cozy place you expect this time of year.