When you are looking for a new HVAC system you can become overwhelmed with information and options. If you aren’t an HVAC expert then it is difficult to know who to trust or what information out there is accurate. One thing you can do on your own to help determine what is right for you is to look into the unit’s SEER rating.
A SEER rating measures how efficiently your heating and cooling system works. The acronym stands for Seasonal Energy Efficient Ratio or Seasonal Energy Efficient Rating. This tests the HVAC unit’s output over an entire cooling or heating season and divides it by the energy use of watt’s per hour.
As far as reliability there are five brands that were given an excellent top rating based on customer satisfaction. According to consumer reports, these five brands are Lennox, Trane, American Standard, and Carrier. There are several reasons these are considered the most reliable brands. First is that they are said to run quietly and cool quickly compared to other AC systems.
Which AC is Most Energy Efficient
- Lennox air conditioners are the most energy efficient. They are known as the brand that has the most energy efficiency as well as the best price range for the product you are getting. The SEER rating for Lennox air conditioners is 14-16 and their efficiency levels are above 98%. The Lennox 14ACX will cost you from $3,100 to $7,400. This brand keeps temperatures evenly balanced in your home which runs evenly for a longer period of time while removing humidity. This brand also uses a quantum coil as opposed to the aluminum coils or spine fin coils. The Lennox buying guide provides you with a comprehensive look at all other best selling brands as well.
- Trane Central AC Units rank above average in consumer satisfaction and dependability. The challenge can be finding someone who installs because the company is picky about who they allow to install their equipment. Trane Central AC uses a spine fin coil side by side. This helps with quicker cooling. They are known for their standard 10 year warranty which covers parts and labor. These units have a 14 SEER rating in energy efficiency. These units can cost from $3,300 to $6,100. They are known to be pricier than other HVAC brands but have one of the better warranties.
- American Standard Air Conditioners is a great AC brand. They make 7 different central air conditioners. It is reliable and known for its quality and durability. The brand offers more than just reliable AC, it offers furnaces as well. This is a company that focuses on central based air conditioning. Their average unit cost is $3,500 to $6,100. This company is known to get the least repair calls for their AC systems
- Carrier Air Conditioners is another top rated brand and mostly because they are built with strict quality standards. This brand has an excellent reputation. These AC units are built mostly by third-party components. This brand has a higher price range from about $4,800 to $7,300. This is because they offer more options and the highest SEER rating available. This company also has heat pumps, gas furnaces, and other HVAC systems. American Standard Air Conditioners is a great AC brand. This is a company that focuses on central based air conditioning. Their average unit cost is $3,500 to $6,100. This company is known to get the least repair calls for their AC systems
- Goodman Central Air Conditioners are known for being in the cheaper price range and are rated as high as those above but are still a good brand to rely on. You can expect to pay around $3,100 to $4,300. This company also offers great warranty programs.
- Rheem Air Conditioners are a great option for those on a smaller budget. These units can be as durable as any other higher priced brand if they are maintained. These units range from $3,100 to $4,000. Although, they are not considered a premier brand but are the best option for many.
- York AC Units are known for their low pricing. They have a 16 SEER rating and cost $3,00 to $5,200 to install. They are known for being quiet and a good option when noise is a concern in the area you live in.
- RUDD Central Air Conditioners offer heating and air conditioning. These units are known to be long lasting and range in price from $3,100 to $3,800. They are also known for quick replacements because all of their parts are available throughout the U.S.
- Amana HVAC Systems are known to be mid-range HVAC. They are known for their compressors coming with a limited lifetime replacement warranty. The price ranges from $3,900 to $6,400.
Every home is unique so what works for one may not work for another. The best way to find the best AC option for your home is to have an in-home quote.
More on AC Units
- Is it Cheaper to Run Window Units or Central AC?
- Which AC Brand is the Best?
- Which is the Most Reliable AC Brand
- Should I Build a Cover for my Air Conditioner?
- My Air Conditioner is Leaking, What Now?
- When Should You Service Your Air Conditioning Unit?
- How to Tell When Your AC Needs Replacing
- Will a Ductless AC Increase Your Home’s Value?
- Practical Solutions to Keep Your Outside Cool