Whether you appreciate winter or favor the warmer months in Portland, many of us make adjustments to make sure our home’s temperature keeps us content. This can have a huge impact on your energy bills, but there are steps you can take to bring monthly costs down.
- Check weather stripping – As the years go on, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to identify any drafts that have to be addressed.
- Utilize your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be helpful in keeping your home warm. Keep them open when the sun is shining during the day, and make sure to close them at night, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter continually to see if it should be switched out. We recommend at least once every three months, but every household is different, so that can vary.
- Purchase a programmable thermostat – It may seem like just a simple way to make sure your home stays warm, but programmable thermostats can also help you reduce energy costs! You can set temperatures to be lower when you are away from the home or sleeping. It’s just one way to be more efficient and help with energy costs.
- Add insulation to your attic – Check to see if you have an adequate amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a great tool to reduce the chances of heat escaping.
- Book routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system needs to have checkups, too. Hiring experts to clean and maintain your system will verify that your system is working effectively and efficiently. They can also catch small issues that could end up as more expensive repairs if neglected.
- Assess your HVAC system – If you notice your energy bills are continually increasing—regardless your efforts to improve efficiency—it might be time to purchase a replacement heating system. An expert at Three Rivers Heating & Cooling can help you examine the performance of your HVAC system and walk through the choices for newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps reduce the amount of money you are spending on your energy bills, but many of them can help your heating system operate more efficiently. More efficient energy use also improves the health of your equipment, which means your heating system will have a longer life.
If you are considering routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide more tips on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give Three Rivers Heating & Cooling in Portland a call to get started. You can reach us at 503-213-4433 or schedule an appointment with us online.