Spring is in the air here in Portland and that means vacation plans are around the corner. While you’re planning what you need to pack and take with you, don’t forget what is left behind, your home. The Three Rivers Heating & Cooling team has some helpful advice that will assist in keeping your home secure and help save some money on your utility bills while you revel in a well-deserved vacation.
- Install Timers - Timers are an economical way to make your home appear as though someone is home by turning off and on the lights as if you never left. It’s a good idea to program your lights to correspond with your regular schedule.
- Enlist the help of a house-sitter - If you have a dependable friend or family member, ask them if they’d mind stopping by and [[checking in on|check up on|look over]18 the house while you’re away. There’s no greater relief than a text while you’re away letting you know that everything at home is perfect.
- Wait to share - We aren’t going to say not to share photos of your amazing trip on social media, but try to put it off until after you return to post information about your trip. Family and friends most likely already know you’re leaving so there’s no reason letting potential criminals know your intentions. Everyone will be just as delighted by the amazing things you saw after you safely return home.
- Hold the Mail - The USPS has made it easier than ever to put a hold on your mail you can do it online right now.
- Unplugged - If an electrical device is plugged in, even if it’s not on, it’s using energy. An easy way to conserve energy while you’re away is to unplug a few of your electronics. Something that you may not think of unplugging is your garage door. It will conserve energy and it will also be another safeguard for your home.
- Adjust the thermostat - If you’re on vacation there’s no reason to keep your home heated and cooled to your comfort level. If you have a digital thermostat you can set the thermostat back to your usual level so you arrive back to a safe, cozy home.
These are some simple tips to add to your spring break prep list, right after finding the perfect bathing suit. If you have any questions about safeguarding your home this season or want to talk about additional energy saving tips, give Three Rivers Heating & Cooling in Portland a call at 503-213-4433.