Prior to your annual furnace service appointment, spend a little time checking around your home for areas that may be letting your warm air escape. Leaky doors and windows and other areas lower the efficiency of your furnace. You could be losing money on your utility bills! Merely identifying leaks could make a huge difference in your energy savings.
Repairing many cracks and leaks can be an easy DIY project that could help you save money for years to come. By sealing these leaks, you’ll also get the most benefit from your annual furnace service. What could be better than improving energy efficiency and saving money, all while making your home more comfortable?
So where should you look for those irritating leaks?
A lot of air can leak out through your attic. Here are some specific areas to investigate:
- Stud cavities could be open or uninsulated, allowing air to easily leak out. You’ll wind up with a chillier home and a higher utility bill.
- Remember your attic access doors when you replace or install weatherstripping around your home. It’s not uncommon for people to overlook them and they can let a substantial amount of heat escape.
Any openings into your house.
A lot of heat is lost through windows and doors.
- Check your weatherstripping. If it’s cracked or torn, it’s time to replace it.
- Inspect the caulking around all of your windows, checking both inside and outside. It’s easy to use a caulking gun to seal any holes you notice.
- Cover any gaps around your chimney and flue (if you have a chimney) to stop air from escaping.
There are so many ways to make certain you get the most out of your annual furnace service, but following this list will give you a big advantage. You’ll be more comfortable and your home will be more efficient. At Three Rivers Heating & Cooling, we are here for you to answer your questions about these tips. And, if it’s time to set up a furnace service appointment, give us a call at 503-213-4433.