According to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association, air ducts must be cleaned at least once every three to five years on average. Your home’s location, your pets and the lifetime of your air filters—along with many other factors—can influence the amount of time between cleanings. How can you know if it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? We’ve got some signals that you should keep an eye on.
Look for these clues:
1. When your vents are fully opened, do any have less airflow than others?
2. Can you hear something other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
3. Is there anything blocking your cold air return vent?
4. When you glimpse inside with a flashlight, can you see a buildup of debris or pet fur?
5. Have bugs or rodents made a home in your ductwork?
6. Are your cold air returns layered with dust or pet hair?
7. Are your registers pushing out dust?
If you replied “yes” to any of these questions, it’s probably time to contact Three Rivers Heating & Cooling in Portland about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
While professional cleanings are important, there are steps you can take to maintain your ducts and extend the time between professional appointments.
Most importantly, schedule regular HVAC maintenance with the pros at Three Rivers Heating & Cooling. A regular checkup of your furnace in the fall and air conditioning unit in the spring will keep your HVAC system running at peak performance. Inspecting your system on a regular basis and replacing the air filter when necessary will also help keep your ducts clear.
More ways you can help care for your ducts:
• Seal air duct leaks that let debris in from areas such as your attic.
• Check your air filters often and put in new filters when needed.
• Regularly dust and vacuum your house.
• Replace air duct insulation if it is in poor or moist condition.
Keeping your ducts clean will help you make sure the air in your Portland home is clean. Be sure to use these preventative actions and schedule a professional duct cleaning now. Call the experts at Three Rivers Heating & Cooling at 503-213-4433 or schedule an appointment online.